Friday, August 28, 2009

Marques de Caceres Crianza 2004 Spain

I thought I should do some comparison drinking, tough job, but someone has to do it. As a comparison, I picked up a bottle of Marques de Caceres Rioja Crianza 2004, $15.99, to compare with the previously mentioned Lan Rioja Reserva 2004, 16.99. You could argue that these are 2 different wines, one a Crianza, and the other a Reserva, I was looking at it more from a price point of view. If you are going to spend $16-$17, which is the better value in terms of flavor. I found the Marques de Caceres lacking in several areas. First off, in the glass it was light, fruit in the nose was unimpressive, it carried some nice components. On the palate, it followed the nose. It was thin, some notes of tobacco, earth, fruit was there, but definitely not a fruit forward wine. It was an ok wine, and, very typical of a Crianza, but I have had better at lower prices. The Lan, as previously noted, was rich, dark and full of fruit and complexity, see my previous notes. For me, it is a no brainer, for about the same money the Lan is the better value in terms of price, and quality.

For when the wine is in, the wit is out.
Thomas Becon (1512–1567)

1 comment: