Monday, August 31, 2009

Louis Latour Montagny 1er Cru 2006

The other day, we were thirsty for a white Burgundy, but not ready to spend a lot of money. I decided on the 2006 Louis Latour Montagny Premier Cru, "La Grande Roche", (90 points, Robert Parker) $19.99. At first taste, I was not sure I was going to like this wine, I was in the mood for a crisp Chardonnay (that is what white Burgundy is, Chardonnay), with nice acidity. My first impression was a little round on the palate, but other components worked. As I continued to taste, it really grew on me. Yes, a little round on the palate, that is just Montagny, from the Cote Chalonnaise, but a nice floral, apple/pear, stone fruit nose that follows through on the palate. It has some nice stone/mineral components, required for a white Burgundy. It does have good acidity to back up the nice fruit, but definitely not a "fruit bomb". For an inexpensive white Burgundy, this really does hit the mark, without spending a whole lot more money. Serve this with a fruit and cheese plate (avoid the bleu), a nice main course salad, halibut or even grilled pork chops.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
Samuel Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment