Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mediterranean Mercato Sandwiches

I was looking for some place different for lunch today, and did not want anything 'fast'. So I ended up at  Mercato Mediterranean Market and Deli, at 3540 South State in Salt Lake City. This is in the same building as Bad Ass Coffee, and La Puenta. I have passed by this location dozens of times, and always thought to myself that I need to try it. Well, today was the day. The market aspect of it is small, with food stuffs from around the world with an emphasis on Greece. Once inside, I was almost transported to another land, the aroma, magazines in Greek, and at the tiny, short counter, there were 3 guys, speaking a language that I think was Greek. The menu is limited pretty much to panini sandwiches and a few salads. The sandwiches are the normal basic fare, Ham & Cheese, Turkey etc. The older, balding gentleman behind the counter said he would make any kind of sandwich I wanted, as he pointed out the meats in the refrigerator case in front of me, Many that were not on the menu. The one that sounded the most interesting on the menu was prosciutto and provolone. I sat at one of 3 small tables in the place, and within a few minutes my sandwich arrived. I had ordered the combo and got my can of soda, bag of chips, plain potato, nothing else is stocked, and a nice little mixed greens salad with a few olives, onions, cucumber and feta cheese lightly dressed in sort of a Greek balsamic vinaigrette, though I think the salad may come with the sandwich anyway. Biting into the crisp grilled ciabatta bread, the salty hit of the meat and creaminess of the melted cheese was delightful. The sandwiches also have lettuce, tomato and cucumber on them. Of course, I took the cucumber and tomato off. Sitting at the small cafe table, eating lunch, listening to the drone of the foreign language of the men at the counter, reminded me of times I have been in Europe, and made my lunch that much more enjoyable. Fancy food? . . . .no. Lots of menu choices? . . . .no. But a delicious sandwich? . . . Yes. A great change from the standard sandwiches of chain shops and other places that call themselves a 'deli'. If in South Salt Lake, and looking for a bite to eat, give this place a try. My lunch total was $8.59. I should add that they do have some pizza, and some traditional Greek fare like dolmades. Open on Sundays too!
Mercato Mediterranean Market & Deli on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment